Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

The thesis

Doing a Master's thesis is hard, it's even harder when you have to work up to three jobs and none of those are stable. It's even harder when the supervisor seems to have it in for you. That's how my masters has unfolded anyhow. 
I got my marks back today, 56%. I'm pissed off at me, the system and the supervisor. I hardly had any help from her and most of the time was flying by the seat of my pants, other students noted they were in a similar boat. 

I'm glad it's over, I'm glad I passed, but I'm very disappointed at my mark. This is where I turn all the fingers at me and my inner voice tells me I'm a failure, I should have been better, I could have tried harder, you're not smart enough etc etc...and who knows, maybe some of that's true! I know I'm not a genius and that I actually have to try quite hard to get good marks. I tried really hard...so I don't know why I got such a shit mark. 
I did do it in half the recommended time and had a tough subject that none of the lecturers knew about - I could have picked something easier with more qualitative content I guess...but I'm glad I got to do some research about trans* and intersex stuff. 

Anyhow, here's to hoping it doesn't affect my PhD acceptance, though reading my confirmation (upon passing masters) it doesn't look like it will.

Onwards and upwards I guess. 

Billy 

3 comments:

  1. Look at all the fantastic things you've achieved in your lifetime. Excellent effort. Well done. I'm proud of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're made of strong stuff, Billy. just make sure to pace yourself on the PhD and be vocal as required until you get the help you need when you need it. Hugs, and good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks shush and good advice Dr Huffer!

    ReplyDelete